Currently, applications are being accepted for the IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program. This post will go into detail regarding this scholarship program, its benefits, and the application process.
The IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program 2022-2023 provides international students with fully supported PhD fellowships. Up to a maximum of USD 10,000 each year, International Mathematical Union Scholarships cover tuition fees, housing and travel expenses for students.
Candidates should be students from developing nations, including their own, who have a strong desire to further their education by pursuing a PhD degree in mathematics in a developing country.
Nominees must have a continuously good academic record and be serious about pursuing a career in mathematics research and teaching.
The funders, the International Mathematical Union, and The Friends of the International Mathematical Union expect that the fellowship will help educate the next generation of mathematicians and result in long-term advantages for those chosen for the fellowships.
Summary of Scholarships
- Level of Education: PhD
- Institution: International Mathematical Union
- Any country can be studied in.
- Mathematics is an opportunity focus area.
- Program Duration: four years
- The deadline is May 31, 2022.
Coverage for Scholarships
The funding will cover up to USD 10,000 per year for IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program participants:
- The total cost of tuition
- expenditures for lodging
- Expenses associated with getting to and from the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses, which will be determined by the cost of living in the country where the student will pursue his or her doctorate.
IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program Requirements
To be eligible for the IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program, a candidate must meet all of the following:
- English is the required language.
- All the countries in the world are eligible.
- Students can’t apply for the fellowship on their own.
- Mathematicians who get paid to do it (including those who have superannuated, but continue to mentor young students). It’s best if the person making the nomination has been helping the person being nominated.
- The student must live in a developing country and be a citizen of that country.
- The student must either have already been accepted into a doctoral program in a university or research institution in a developing country or be accepted into a doctoral program in a university or research institution in a developing country in the first academic year after being chosen.
- There is no limit on how old a student can be.
- Women students are strongly encouraged to put their names forward.
- The fellowship will be given for one year at a time and can be renewed every year if the recipient is making good progress. It will end when the recipient finishes their doctoral program or after four years, whichever comes first.
How can I apply for the IMU Breakthrough Graduate Fellowship?
To apply for the IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program, please follow the instructions below:
(1) Create an account on the International Mathematical Union’s Platform.
(2) Click here to see the Online Application Form.
Prepare the following materials for the selection procedure: (Only PDF files are allowed to be uploaded.)
- The nominator’s statement
- a scanned copy of the student’s passport (nominee)
- Pre-acceptance letter from the PhD program.
- Requested is a budget for overall costs.
- CV of a PhD advisor
- Project of Study.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from the nominator and the other from someone else.
- Certified documents (e.g., stamped by the university) of the student’s coursework:Recommendation letters
- from two different sources, neither of which can be from the nominator.
- a certified copy of the student’s coursework (e.g. stamped by the college or institution)
A) Bachelor’s degree in science or a related field.
B) A master’s degree or above.
- The nominee’s CV.
- The student’s motivation letter, research project, and future objectives are all included in this document.
- A statement from the person who has been nominated.
- A statement from the PhD supervisor.
- Declaration of the nominee (student).
We encourage you to visit our official website to learn more about our IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program: